Improving and Enhancing Library Facilities
It's an exciting time for your libraries!
Based on demonstrated need, four of our libraries received $1,021,333 for capital improvements through the state’s Library Capital Improvement Program. Grant awards, which require a 50% match, include:
- Northport $46,500
- Chewelah $87,000
- Loon Lake $648,875 &
- Colville $264,000
- The Libraries of Stevens County and the City of Colville have received four library capital improvement grants from the Department of Commerce, aimed at improving library facilities in rural and economically distressed counties, such as Stevens County.
- The grants will provide 50% of the total project funding; the other 50% is needed. Some funding will come from library savings, donations, fundraisers, library Friends groups, and in-kind donations (e.g. labor).
- We are also using opportunity to expand services and enhance the facilities and access at all seven library branches. We hope all county residents will share their ideas with us.
This is a 1.0 million state grant, and must be matched by local fundraising. This once-in-a-generation opportunity will improve all public libraries in Stevens County. Your investment in the Libraries of Stevens County at this critical time will benefit our community for decades.
Help us raise the $1.0 million dollars we need!
Please donate to keep our libraries strong.
In partnership with the City of Colville, improvements will include a new elevator, a revitalized children’s area and exterior repairs that will preserve the building’s historic character.
A brand-new, 4,000 square foot library will feature a larger collection, a community room, and will expand technology access. This will be the first new library built to meet the needs of southern Stevens County.
Expanded collections and programming are planned for the Hunters, Kettle Falls, Lakeside and Onion Creek libraries. In addition, 24/7 library kiosks will be established in remote areas of the county.
How can I get involved?
Your support will create an enduring legacy for our community and enrich the lives of our community for generations to come.
- Make a tax-deductible gift to the library through the Libraries of Stevens County Foundation
- Ask your family, friends, and employer to support this fundraising effort
- Include the library in your estate plans
- Get involved in your library!
REQUEST FOR Proposal/QUALIFICATIONS
OWNER’S REPRESENTATION and CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT SERVICES
RESPONSE DUE: October 10, 2022 at 6:00 PM PST
Description of the Project:
Based on demonstrated need, four Stevens County Rural Library District (“District”) libraries received grants totaling $1,021,333 through the State of Washington’s Library Capital Improvement Program. These grants, which must be matched by local fundraising, will benefit Chewelah, Colville, Loon Lake, and Northport.
Find the full project details and qualifications on our Employment Opportunities website
"On any day, you will see parents with children in strollers, teens taking part in educational programs, senior citizens browsing the shelves or reading newspapers, a bank of computers fully occupied, and a veritable army of volunteers fully committed to our public library. Investing in our public library is an investment in our community, our people, and our future."
- Madonna Jones, City of Colville resident
Visit Your Library
Do you have a question? Would you like more information? Call your library or contact our administrative office: (509) 233-9621